[Gluster-users] Is RAID necessary/recommended?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 03:37:39 UTC 2014

On 29 October 2014 12:46, Dan Mons <dmons at cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:

> RAID10 provided no practical benefit.  All of Gluster's performance
> bottlenecks are related to DHT lookups and clustering over Ethernet.
> Speaking specifically for Gluster and in my use case, the disk has
> never been the bottlneck.

Thats what I suspected. Given I'm using a whitebox setup without hot
pluggable bays I feel I'm better off improving my network performance
than adding extra drives for RAID.

What I'm looking for here is shared storage with redundancy and
reasonable performance. I imagine I'm running a smaller, lower spec'd
environment with less requirements than most here :)

Thanks,