[Gluster-users] Is RAID necessary/recommended?

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Wed Oct 29 02:46:53 UTC 2014

We run RAID6 with a hot spare in our Gluster nodes.  (16 drives per
node, 13 usable).  I wouldn't bother with the hot spare if I was
sitting around the 8 disk-per-node mark.

RAID10 provided no practical benefit.  All of Gluster's performance
bottlenecks are related to DHT lookups and clustering over Ethernet.
Speaking specifically for Gluster and in my use case, the disk has
never been the bottlneck.

What RAID on the bricks gives you is, as mentioned, the ability to
recover from individual drive failures without extra effort on
Gluster's behalf.  Additionally, one brick per node ensures that your
data is always replicating to a physically different machine, which
helps you in the event of a entire node failing.

Different people have different use cases, but for us (VFX/multimedia
company using Gluster as a scalable NAS/SAN replacement and shared
POSIX file system), that's worked out far better for us long-term,
with respect to maintenance.

-Dan

Dan Mons - R&D Sysadmin
Cutting Edge