[Gluster-users] Is RAID necessary/recommended?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 02:47:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, thanks James, Juan.
>
> Given my budget, I think I'll switch to using a single 3TB drive in
> each node, but add an extra 1GB Intel network card to each node and
> bond them for better network performance.
Did you test your workload to find your bottlenecks, or is this all
just conjecture? Test!

> Also I will be adding a third proxmox node for quorum purposes - it
> will just be a Intel NUC, won't be used for running VM's (though it
> could manage a couple).
Sweet... I almost bought a NUC to replace my Pentium 4 home server,
but they were kind of pricey. How is it?

> On 29 October 2014 11:10, Juan José Pavlik Salles <jjpavlik at gmail.com> wrote:
>> RAID6 is the best choice when working with arrays with many disks. RAID10
>> doesn't make sense to me since you already have replication with gluster.

Keep in mind that if you've got an array of 24 disks, you'd probably
want to split that up into multiple RAID 6's. IOW, you'll have a few
bricks per host, each composed of a RAID 6. I think the magic number
of disks for a set is probably at least six, but not much more than
eight. I got this number from my imagination. Test your workloads
(also under failure scenarios) to decide for yourself.

Cheers,
James