[Gluster-users] Is RAID necessary/recommended?

Juan José Pavlik Salles jjpavlik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 14:43:36 UTC 2014

It could be both necessary and recommended, depending on what you want to
achieve. I've gone through a few awkward moments because of not having RAID
in our distribute-replicated volume, but nothing you can't solve shutting
down the node and replacing the drive. RAID will give you transparency and
tolerance to drive failures and is even better if we talk about a good HW
RAID. What about RAID 5, is that possible?

> I have a 2 node proxmox cluster running 16 VM's off a NAS NFS share
> over 1GB ethernet.
>
> Looking at moving to local storage shared between the nodes using
> Gluster replication, over a dedicated 1GB link. 3TB WD Red drives on
> each node.
>
> I was going to setup RAID1 (2*3TB) on each node, but is that overkill?
>
> Read performance would be improved, but the bottleneck for writes is
> going to be the 1GB ethernet anyway.
>

> Data is backed up online offsite nightly and DR backups are done
> weekly to external drives, because as we all know, RAID is not a
> backup :)
>
> --
> Lindsay

Pavlik Salles Juan José