[Gluster-users] Is RAID necessary/recommended?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 00:28:04 UTC 2014

I have a 2 node proxmox cluster running 16 VM's off a NAS NFS share
over 1GB ethernet.

Looking at moving to local storage shared between the nodes using
Gluster replication, over a dedicated 1GB link. 3TB WD Red drives on
each node.

I was going to setup RAID1 (2*3TB) on each node, but is that overkill?

Read performance would be improved, but the bottleneck for writes is
going to be the 1GB ethernet anyway.

Data is backed up online offsite nightly and DR backups are done
weekly to external drives, because as we all know, RAID is not a
backup :)

--
Lindsay