[Gluster-users] Why is xfs recommended?

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:51:58 UTC 2014

Just wondering about the usecases. In all my testing ext4 has been
consistently faster for sustained and random read/writes on large files  (VM
images).

Tested with/without external ssd journals and caches.

nb. While you can use a external journal with xfs I found the support and
tools for it too marginal to risk using. Unable to move, resize or remove the
journal without manually editing the partition bytes, whereas ext4 has tune2fs
for all of that. Plus builtin support for loading the journal via label or
uuid.

thanks,

--
Lindsay