[Gluster-users] disperse configuration example

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Wed Nov 12 10:18:21 UTC 2014

Hi Pedro,

On 11/12/2014 10:56 AM, Pedro Serotto wrote:
> Hi Xavi,
> what about if I need to add more bricks than 3 ?

Currently the number of bricks in a disperse set is fixed, as it is in a
replica set.

Basically you decide the level of reliability of the volume when you
create it (proportion between number of bricks and redundancy).
Redundancy determines how many bricks can fail without losing access to
data (for a fixed redundancy, the probability of losing access to data
increases as the number of bricks increases).

Once defined you can increase the total volume space by adding more
disperse sets using add-brick command:

gluster volume add-brick <volname> <bricks...>

The number of bricks you add must be equal to the number of bricks
defined in the creation command, so if you created a 'disperse 3
redundancy 1' volume, you can grow it by adding 3 more bricks. For a
'disperse 5 redundancy 1', you should add 5 bricks.

This is called a Distributed-Dispersed volume, similar to the
Distributed-Replicated volume.

Xavi