[Gluster-users] GlusterFS Consultants & Support companies page

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Tue Jun 10 22:25:42 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014, at 11:03 PM, Rodrigo Gonzalez wrote:
> El 10/06/14 18:49, John Gardeniers escribió:
>> Despite the good intentions behind this idea I see a number of problems.
>> Here are a couple for starters:
>>
>> 1 - In what order will they be displayed, bearing in mind that anyone
>> not listed near the top is unlikely to get any benefit from such listing.
>>
>> 2 - Once this starts there will most likely be those who are prepared to
>> pay/bribe for preferential listing. How will that be addressed. I'm sure
>> the income would be appreciated but where does it end and how would it
>> be controlled?
>>
>> Regards,
>> John
>
> For 1 it is clear to me....random order so each client will get a
> different list, does this make sense?

Heh, I'm more of a "lets get something working, then adjust as needed"
type of person.  At the moment only three organisations have asked to be
added.

Initially I'm thinking to have the list sorted by geography or timezone
covered or something.  Lets see how many entries there are first.  May
or may not need to get creative right at the very start. ;)

> About 2, I dont think a community list would accept payments or other
> kind of things....or yes, but list would not be changed cause of
> that...so random again...or in the "worst" ( for me) situation a
> different link for them

With 2, again "let see how we go".  While the list is short, it shouldn't
be a problem (hopefully).  If things start getting out of hand, we'll
obviously need to come up with some practical ideas.

Note - I'm pretty strongly "for" this general idea.  Sure there are
potential drawbacks if things go badly.  But there are also potential
benefits for people if it goes well.  Let's try it out (aiming for the
positives side) and see what happens. ;)

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org