[Gluster-users] FreeBSD + NFS

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Tue Jul 1 07:36:44 UTC 2014

> > 1) Is-it OK to build my storage on top of Ubuntu server?
> There are no known limitations of using Ubuntu Server IMHO.

OK.

> > 2) Is there any flusterfs driver for FreeBSD? I understood that there is
> > none so far?
> There is an experimental version available to test out - this is fully
> GlusterFS for FreeBSD
> http://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/experimental/glusterfs-freebsd_20140629.tar.bz2

Thank you.

> BTW what is flusterfs?

That's not me, that's the keyboard that is too small :) I meant glusterfs.

> > 3) I need an NFS server with more detailed configuration options than
> > what is offered by the NFS server included in Gluster. is that OK to
> > disable it and run a stock NFS server? What feature will I loose in
> > doing so?
> What features are missing ? would you mind opening up a bug -->
> bugzilla.redhat.com ?

I don't know much about stock NFS servers on Linux, but on FreeBSD you
can export certain directories to certains clients only, while other
directories are exported to other clients. You can also configure what
clients can access the mounted directory with root credentials, or map
that to another user, similarly you can map client and server users...

I don't see that as a bug, but I can open a but report, only later,w hen
I'll be more familiarized with Gluster.

Is that OK to use a stock NFS server in place of Gluster NFS?

Best regards,

Olivier