[Gluster-users] FreeBSD + NFS

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Jul 1 09:35:49 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 02:36:44PM +0700, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > > 1) Is-it OK to build my storage on top of Ubuntu server?
> > There are no known limitations of using Ubuntu Server IMHO.
>
> OK.
>
> > > 2) Is there any flusterfs driver for FreeBSD? I understood that there is
> > > none so far?
> > There is an experimental version available to test out - this is fully
> > GlusterFS for FreeBSD
> > http://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/experimental/glusterfs-freebsd_20140629.tar.bz2
>
> Thank you.
>
> > BTW what is flusterfs?
>
> That's not me, that's the keyboard that is too small :) I meant glusterfs.
>
> > > 3) I need an NFS server with more detailed configuration options than
> > > what is offered by the NFS server included in Gluster. is that OK to
> > > disable it and run a stock NFS server? What feature will I loose in
> > > doing so?
> > What features are missing ? would you mind opening up a bug -->
> > bugzilla.redhat.com ?
>
> I don't know much about stock NFS servers on Linux, but on FreeBSD you
> can export certain directories to certains clients only, while other
> directories are exported to other clients. You can also configure what
> clients can access the mounted directory with root credentials, or map
> that to another user, similarly you can map client and server users...
>
> I don't see that as a bug, but I can open a but report, only later,w hen
> I'll be more familiarized with Gluster.
>
> Is that OK to use a stock NFS server in place of Gluster NFS?

It is not advised to use the Linux kernel NFS-server to export
a glusterfs-fuse mountpoint. You can do it, but you have to be aware of
the issues explained here:
- http://sourceforge.net/p/fuse/fuse/ci/master/tree/README.NFS

The other option is to use nfs-ganesha. This is an alternative userspace
NFS-server and the current 2.1.0 release should work with fine with
glusterfs-3.5.1. I have no idea if packages are available for Ubuntu,
but you can find them in the updates-testing repository for Fedora 20
and EPEL-6:
- https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-EPEL-2014-1787/nfs-ganesha-2.1.0-1.el6

HTH,
Niels