[Gluster-users] GlusterFS share authentication?

Jeffrey Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 19:35:19 UTC 2014

> I assume that the absence of responses means that there's no
> positive/good/easy answer on this?
> Therefore I also assume that "authentication by IP" is currently
> GlusterFS' only way of handling access rights.

Not entirely.  GlusterFS does support authentication between
clients and "bricks" using SSL certificates, but it requires
some manual configuration.  There are some instructions here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gluster-devel/2013-05/msg00139.html

For NFS/Samba/etc. the "client" certificate would actually be
on the external-protocol gateway server(s) which would then use
those credentials to connect to the native-protocol servers.  An
external native client, lacking those certificates, would not be
able to make those same connections.  With internal connections
thus secured, the operative security model would be that of the
external-protocol server (e.g. Samba).