[Gluster-users] Gluster Failover Mount

Mike.Peters at opengi.co.uk Mike.Peters at opengi.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:46:42 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am currently testing GlusterFS and am looking for some advice. My setup uses the latest 3.4.2 packages from www.gluster.org  SLES11-SP3.

I currently have a storage pool shared read-write across 2 gluster server nodes. This seems to work fine. However, I would also like to mount this pool on 4 further client machines running a legacy web application. Because of some limitations in the application, I would like to be able to tell these servers to mount the storage pool from one particular gluster server node, but to fail over to the second node if and only the first node becomes unavailable. I can mount the storage on the client nodes with both gluster nodes specified or with only one node specified but cannot see a way in the documentation of preferring one particular node and having the second node configured as a fail over. Is this possible? What am I missing? My current gluster vol file on my clients is as follows:

volume remote1
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host GLUSTER-01
  option remote-subvolume /data/gv0/brick1
end-volume

volume remote2
  type protocol/client
  option transport-type tcp
  option remote-host GLUSTER-02
  option remote-subvolume /data/gv0/brick1
end-volume

volume replicate
  type cluster/replicate
  subvolumes remote1 remote2
end-volume

volume writebehind
  type performance/write-behind
  option window-size 1MB
  subvolumes replicate
end-volume

volume cache
  type performance/io-cache
  option cache-size 512MB
  subvolumes writebehind
end-volume

And I have the following in the client's fstab:

/etc/glusterfs/glusterfs.vol /opt/shared_files glusterfs rw,allow_other,default_permissions,max_read=131072 0 0

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike Peters