[Gluster-users] glusterfs and glusterfsd process utilization extremely high

Kyle Harris kyle.harris98 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 13:39:31 UTC 2014

Hi Krutika and thank you for the quick response.  I think I found the
problem and it was hiding in the logs the whole time.  However, I'm still
glad I started this thread as it might help someone else and furthermore I
still have a question about it.

I discovered a lot of entries similar to the following in the gluster mnt
log:

12-18 02:41:23.557523] I [dht-common.c:1822:dht_lookup_cbk] 0-gv0-dht:
Entry /html/some_site/some_folder/asdf.php missing on subvol gv0-replicate-0

Because this log entry appeared to just be informational, I didn't pay much
attention to it.  However I began to notice many of them for one particular
site that is hosted on this cluster.  I finally decided to remove that site
temporarily from the cluster and much to my surprise AND delight, the
problem went away!

After much research, it appears as though files that are called from a
gluster drive that are not present is an expensive operation in terms of
resource utilization and that was causing my problem.  Obviously the
solution is to have the developers fix the issues on the site but it does
bring up another question.

What happens when I have a site hosted on a gluster drive and a user or
link points to an incorrect URL on that site and thus to a file that
doesn't exist?  Obviously that would have to happen multiple times in order
to be a problem but on a busy site, the potential exist for a denial of
service.

So my new question is this.  How can this be mitigated from gluster such
that missing files do not cause such an issue?

Thank you again for any assistance.

Kyle

On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Krutika Dhananjay <kdhananj at redhat.com>
wrote: