[Gluster-users] glusterfs and glusterfsd process utilization extremely high

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Thu Dec 18 23:12:06 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-18 05:39, Kyle Harris wrote:

> What happens when I have a site hosted on a gluster drive and a user
> or link points to an incorrect URL on that site and thus to a file
> that doesn't exist?  Obviously that would have to happen multiple
> times in order to be a problem but on a busy site, the potential exist
> for a denial of service.
>
> So my new question is this.  How can this be mitigated from gluster
> such that missing files do not cause such an issue?

In the web server world this is actually very common, it's typical to
have Apache/nginx configured in a "If this file exists, return it,
otherwise send the query to the CMS for processing", resulting in a very
high rate of hits for nonexistent files.

Many times multiple calls are made, first to the filesystem looking for
the "file" itself, then to variations of a
/www/wordpress/cache/www.example.com/something.html.gz then
.../something.html and similar looking for pre-computed result pages
before sending the request over to the PHP engine. Normally this is a
very inexpensive set of checks.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/