[Gluster-users] Gluster Best Practices

Alan Orth alan.orth at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 08:59:24 UTC 2014

Hi,

I guess some good advice is "pre-mature optimization is the root of all
evil".  Use the Gluster defaults for your replica volumes, then, when
you inevitably have performance issues, identify bottlenecks logically
and iteratively:
	- Raw RAID read/write speeds
	- Raw network read/write speeds

ie, make sure your hardware/network can keep up before trying to "fix"
GlusterFS.  We use GlusterFS for home directories on a compute cluster
with 10-20 concurrent users (~100 total users), and I mandate that users
do write-heavy jobs to compute-node local storage.  It's a bit different
use case than yours, but hopefully useful insight.  For the record,
we're using 10Gbe over copper.

Other than that, the Red Hat storage guide recommends hardware RAID6 and
XFS (rather than ext4).

Cheers,

Alan

--
Alan Orth
alan.orth at gmail.com
http://alaninkenya.org
http://mjanja.co.ke
"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how
to use my telephone." -Bjarne Stroustrup, inventor of C++
GPG public key ID: 0x8cb0d0acb5cd81ec209c6cdfbd1a0e09c2f836c0