[Gluster-users] GlusterFS mounted volume not accessible from Windows through samba

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Fri Apr 11 14:25:16 UTC 2014

Comments in line.

On April 11, 2014 6:23:06 AM PDT, Tariq Yousaf <tam.tariqyousaf at gdev.biz> wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am facing an issue with my GlusterFS setup. Here is the detailed
>description of the issue. I would appreciate any prompt help.
>
>Same question posted at StackOverflow.com at
>http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23010305/glusterfs-mounted-volume-not-accessible-from-windows-through-samba
>Requirement
>
>Creating a replicated shared drive with GlusterFS and have it
>accessible in
>Windows ActiveDirectory with the UNC path.
>
>PS: All our servers are windows and in a single domain. Only GlusterFS
>servers are linux.
>What I've achieved so far
>
>I have setup GlusterFS with:
>
>   - Two gluster nodes (GlusterFS: ver 3.3.2 - OS: CentOS release 6.4)
>   - A replicated volume (gvol1).
>   - gvol1, mounted on both the nodes (say at /mnt/gvol1).
>
>Working FINE till this point. Any file created in the mounted volume
>(on
>any node) is replicated to the volume (and the underlying brick) on
>both
>the nodes.
>
>I have ALSO installed and configured SAMBA on both the nodes. Joined
>both
>the machines to our windows domain. This looks FINE too. I had success
>with
>these tests:
>
>   - AD authentication - SUCCESS
>   - Sharing a folder from linux through SAMBA. And accessing through
>   windows machines. - SUCCESS
>
>Problem
>
>When I try to share the GlusterFS vol (mounted at /mnt/gvol1 on both
>the
>gluster nodes) through SAMBA. This is what happens:
>
>  - VIEWING the shared gluster volume in windows through UNC path (i.e.
>   'gvol1shared' is visible in \gnode1) - SUCCESS
>   - *ACCESSING the shared gluster volume in windows through UNC (i.e.
>   opening \gnode1\gvol1shared) - FAILED*

Error?

Windows probably doesn't tell you anything but you can configure logging on samba to see what it has to say. Perhaps Wireshark, too, to see what is happening.

>I have tried various things but had no luck with this.
>
>*Note:* I believe while testing GlusterFS couple of months ago, I did a
>work around for this issue. Instead of sharing the 'mounted volume'
>(i.e.
>/mnt/gvol1) through SAMBA, I shared the brick on one of the
>glusternodes
>(i.e. say /export/gluster/brick1). *And I believe it worked. BUT Now
>when I
>write anything directly to the brick it doesn't replicate it to other
>bricks.* So, I'm confused and doubt that it worked in first place. Or I
>need to change something to get this working too.

That's not a work around, that's a fail. Bricks are storage for the GlusterFS filesystem just like spinning rust is for NTFS. You can't just wrote data blindly to some sector of your hard drive. You can't just write blindly to a brick.