[Gluster-users] GlusterFS mounted volume not accessible from Windows through samba

Tariq Yousaf tam.tariqyousaf at gdev.biz
Fri Apr 11 13:23:06 UTC 2014

Hi

I am facing an issue with my GlusterFS setup. Here is the detailed
description of the issue. I would appreciate any prompt help.

Same question posted at StackOverflow.com at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23010305/glusterfs-mounted-volume-not-accessible-from-windows-through-samba
Requirement

Creating a replicated shared drive with GlusterFS and have it accessible in
Windows ActiveDirectory with the UNC path.

PS: All our servers are windows and in a single domain. Only GlusterFS
servers are linux.
What I've achieved so far

I have setup GlusterFS with:

   - Two gluster nodes (GlusterFS: ver 3.3.2 - OS: CentOS release 6.4)
   - A replicated volume (gvol1).
   - gvol1, mounted on both the nodes (say at /mnt/gvol1).

Working FINE till this point. Any file created in the mounted volume (on
any node) is replicated to the volume (and the underlying brick) on both
the nodes.

I have ALSO installed and configured SAMBA on both the nodes. Joined both
the machines to our windows domain. This looks FINE too. I had success with
these tests:

   - AD authentication - SUCCESS
   - Sharing a folder from linux through SAMBA. And accessing through
   windows machines. - SUCCESS

Problem

When I try to share the GlusterFS vol (mounted at /mnt/gvol1 on both the
gluster nodes) through SAMBA. This is what happens:

   - VIEWING the shared gluster volume in windows through UNC path (i.e.
   'gvol1shared' is visible in \gnode1) - SUCCESS
   - *ACCESSING the shared gluster volume in windows through UNC (i.e.
   opening \gnode1\gvol1shared) - FAILED*

I have tried various things but had no luck with this.

*Note:* I believe while testing GlusterFS couple of months ago, I did a
work around for this issue. Instead of sharing the 'mounted volume' (i.e.
/mnt/gvol1) through SAMBA, I shared the brick on one of the glusternodes
(i.e. say /export/gluster/brick1). *And I believe it worked. BUT Now when I
write anything directly to the brick it doesn't replicate it to other
bricks.* So, I'm confused and doubt that it worked in first place. Or I
need to change something to get this working too.

--
Thanks
Tariq