[Gluster-users] Survey of GlusterFS implementation details?

Carlos Capriotti capriotti.carlos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 21:15:28 UTC 2014

Distro, version, gluster version.

Network config: jumbo frames or regular ? Or Other ?

If geo-rep, type of link, speed, etc.

Dedicated NIC for gluster ? 1Gbps ? 10Gbps ?

Typical file traffic ? Web (small files read-only) ? database ? VM images
(big files read-write) ?

Sysctl tweaks ? (potentially post the file)
gluster tweaks ? (THIS could be huge).

Hardware:

Amount of memory per node, brand of hardware, model of disk controller,
type/speed and amount of processors (physical, left alone cores), type of
disks (IDE, SATA, SAS, etc), disk model, disk sizes, disk speed (RPM and/or
IOPS), disk configuration (RAID level), ZIL.

Also, more towards gluster, number of nodes, type of volume, distributed,
replicated, geo-rep.

But, in order to standardize results, why not writing a simply silly script
that can do some benchmarking, specially when to comes to disk speed ? Not
gluster, at a first moment, but the underlying hardware results.

I know it may deviate a bit from the original idea, BUT, in my case, and
probably it is also the case of a lot of people, performance is crucial.

If we are talking about a file system, like we are, it only makes sense
that we compare results, specially disk performance results, after all, in
the end, this is the very foundation of the final result we will achieve
with gluster.

A very simple - almost dumb - way to start is with dd:

dd if=/dev/zero /whatever/brick/root/folder bs=512k count=9000

This is for a system with 8 GB or RAM, to try avoiding any cache.

Again, the simplest form, and not a good real life, or life-like
measurement, but a start.

As for where to host the form, does anyone has any experience with Google
Forms, on Google Drive ?