[Gluster-users] Explaination needed - Distributed Replicated volume

Lalatendu Mohanty lmohanty at redhat.com
Wed Sep 25 05:40:21 UTC 2013

On 09/25/2013 10:52 AM, Jake G. wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I have created a Distributed Replicated volume across 2 glusterfs servers.
>
> Type: Distributed-Replicate
> Number of Bricks: 2 x 2 = 4
> Transport-type: tcp
> Bricks:
> Brick1: glusterfs-01:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick1
> Brick2: glusterfs-02:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick1
> Brick3: glusterfs-01:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick2
> Brick4: glusterfs-02:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick2
>
> If each gluster server gives 100GB to the volume. What is the total
> size of the volume going to be? 200GB?

The available size of the volume will be 200GB. Because you have a 2X2
replicated volume. This means you have 2 pair of replicas. Brick
"Brick1: glusterfs-01:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick1" and "Brick2:
glusterfs-02:/mnt/glusterfs-data/brick1" are a replica pair and they are
mirror copy of each other. Effectively you will get 100 GB from these
two bricks . Similarly from the other pair you will get 100GB.  Total
available size will be 200GB
> Say I copy a 20GB file to the volume. what would my available size be?
> 180GB or 160GB?
If you copy 20GB file, the available size would be 180GB.

> Is there a command to view available sizes, usage, etc.. perhaps?

If you have mounted it on Linux "df" command should help you.