[Gluster-users] Slow Read Performance With Samba GlusterFS VFS

kane stef_9k at 163.com
Tue Sep 3 02:43:52 UTC 2013

Hi,

First I appreciate for you all, with your last week's points mentioned in the problem I meet with slow samba vfs write performance.
Then I use fastcopy software to test windows clients write performance, it tells the same performance with iozone rewrite results, reach 450MB/s each client.

Then I use the same smb.conf test read performance, it shows slow read performance compare with write performance,
I received two clients total result:
500MB/s read perf
900MB/s write perf

I tested the iozone in the mount dir that is mounted with a raid5 block device:
writers = 674063.36 KB/sec
readers = 502945.33 KB/sec

then i make the same test in fuse mount dir:
writers = 799379.41 KB/sec
readers = 898367.59 KB/sec

it show almost the same performance in read and write, so i was confused with the samba vfs client test:
500MB/s read perf
900MB/s write perf

then i want to test vfs use smb.conf sendfile option, but gluster-vfs currently not supported.

gluster server volume also set:
performance.read-ahead-page-count: 16
performance.cache-size: 256MB

smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = MYGROUP
        server string = DCS Samba Server
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.vfs
        max log size = 500000
#       use sendfile = true
        aio read size = 262144
        aio write size = 262144
        aio write behind = true
        min receivefile size = 262144
        write cache size = 268435456
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw
        read raw = yes
        write raw = yes
        max xmit = 262144
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=262144 SO_SNDBUF=262144
        kernel oplocks = no
        stat cache = no

So any suggestions tuning the read performance,
Is gluster-vfs aio & sendfile coming soon?

Thank You!
-kane