[Gluster-users] Can't access volume during self-healing

Harshavardhana harsha at harshavardhana.net
Fri Oct 11 07:35:48 UTC 2013

> I've posted to the list about this issue before actually.
> We had/have a similar requirement for storing a very large number of
> fairly small files, and originally had them all in just a few directories
> in glusterfs.

Directory layout also matters here "number of files v/s number of
directory" hierarchy, also necessary to know is how does the application
reach to these individual files (access patterns)

> It turns out that Glusterfs is really badly suited to directories with
> large numbers of files in them. If you can split them up, do so, and
> performance will become tolerable again.
>

> But even then it wasn't great.. Self-heal can swamp the network, making
> access for clients so slow as to cause problems.

This analysis is wrong - self-heal daemon runs in lower priority threads
and shouldn't be swamping the network at all. It never competes by default
against User i/o traffic. Which was the version this was tested against?

> For your use case (wanting distributed, replicated storage for large
> numbers of 1mb files) I suggest you check out Riak and the Riak CS add-on.
> It's proven to be great for that particular use-case for us.

Including all of that there is a fair amount of tuning which should be done
at kernel, network and filesystem level as well. NoSQL's such as Riak could
be beneficial but again are based on use-case basis.

--
*Religious confuse piety with mere ritual, the virtuous confuse regulation
with outcomes*