[Gluster-users] Can't access volume during self-healing

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Fri Oct 11 05:29:36 UTC 2013

On 10/10/13 05:22, Pruner, Anne (Anne) wrote:
> I’m evaluating gluster for use in our product, and I want to ensure that
> I understand the failover behavior.  What I’m seeing isn’t great, but it
> doesn’t look from the docs I’ve read that this is what everyone else is
> experiencing.
>
> Is this normal?
>
> Setup:
>
> -one volume, distributed, replicated (2), with two bricks on two
> different servers
>
> -35,000 files on volume, about 1MB each, all in one directory (I’m open
> to changing this, if that’s the problem.  ls –l takes a /really/ long time)

I've posted to the list about this issue before actually.
We had/have a similar requirement for storing a very large number of
fairly small files, and originally had them all in just a few
directories in glusterfs.
It turns out that Glusterfs is really badly suited to directories with
large numbers of files in them. If you can split them up, do so, and
performance will become tolerable again.

But even then it wasn't great.. Self-heal can swamp the network, making
access for clients so slow as to cause problems.

For your use case (wanting distributed, replicated storage for large
numbers of 1mb files) I suggest you check out Riak and the Riak CS
add-on. It's proven to be great for that particular use-case for us.

-Toby