[Gluster-users] working inifiniband HW ??

Harry Mangalam hjmangalam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:02:50 UTC 2013

I concur - I used the same cards on our test cluster - just make sure you
upgrade the firmware  to the latest revision:
http://www.mellanox.com/content/pages.php?pg=custom_firmware_table

The fw upgrade is not trivial - well, it IS trivial, but bringing all the
info together was not - if you want some rough notes, let me know.

the other harry

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:23 AM, Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2013, at 10:20 AM, HL wrote:
> > I am currently testing glusterfs on a small scale  non-production env
> with ordinary nics.
> >
> > I would like to purchase a couple of inifiniband nics in order to
> connect 3 servers in point to point mode
> > that is with no switches in between.
> >
> > Since I've noticed that some of you have this kind of H/W
> > Any info on brands/models and
> > a "good known to work setup"
> > will be highly appreciated.
>
> Depends on the kind of performance you're after. :)
>
> If you're just wanting something better than 10GbE at minimal cost,
> these work fine under Linux:
>
>   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360657396651
>   ~US$40 each, not counting postage
>
> They're rebadged Mellanox MHGH28-XTC cards.  Completely ok to be
> flashed with standard Mellanox firmware.
>
> For cables, I use these:
>
>   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251200441924
>   US$14 each, not counting postage
>
> Note, I'm comfortable getting stuff off eBay where the seller
> seems ok.  So far, so good. ;)
>
> If you do decide to use the above stuff, and later on want a switch,
> try and find a Voltaire ISR 9024D-M.  They're DDR infiniband (20Gb/s
> per port), and can run fanless (completely silent).
>
>   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350827346490
>
> They can be had pretty cheaply if you're willing to wait for good
> pricing.  I got mine for ~US$270.
>
> Hope that helps. :)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> > Regards,
> > Harry
>
> --
> Open Source and Standards @ Red Hat
>
> twitter.com/realjustinclift

Data backup by the NSA - your tax dollars at work.
--
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487