[Gluster-users] working inifiniband HW ??

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Mon Jul 8 12:23:50 UTC 2013

On 08/07/2013, at 10:20 AM, HL wrote:
> I am currently testing glusterfs on a small scale  non-production env with ordinary nics.
>
> I would like to purchase a couple of inifiniband nics in order to connect 3 servers in point to point mode
> that is with no switches in between.
>
> Since I've noticed that some of you have this kind of H/W
> Any info on brands/models and
> a "good known to work setup"
> will be highly appreciated.

Depends on the kind of performance you're after. :)

If you're just wanting something better than 10GbE at minimal cost,
these work fine under Linux:

  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360657396651
  ~US$40 each, not counting postage

They're rebadged Mellanox MHGH28-XTC cards.  Completely ok to be
flashed with standard Mellanox firmware.

For cables, I use these:

  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251200441924
  US$14 each, not counting postage

Note, I'm comfortable getting stuff off eBay where the seller
seems ok.  So far, so good. ;)

If you do decide to use the above stuff, and later on want a switch,
try and find a Voltaire ISR 9024D-M.  They're DDR infiniband (20Gb/s
per port), and can run fanless (completely silent).

  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350827346490

They can be had pretty cheaply if you're willing to wait for good
pricing.  I got mine for ~US$270.

Hope that helps. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift