[Gluster-users] Where does the 'date' string in '/var/log/glusterfs/gl.log' come from?

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Tue Dec 10 19:23:11 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 10:57 AM, harry mangalam wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 10:42:28 AM Vijay Bellur wrote:
>
> > On 12/10/2013 10:14 AM, harry mangalam wrote:
>
> > > Admittedly I should search the source, but I wonder if anyone
> knows this
>
> > > offhand.
>

> > > Background: of our 84 ROCKS (6.1) -provisioned compute nodes, 4 have
>
> > > picked up an 'advanced date' in the /var/log/glusterfs/gl.log file -
>
> > > that date string is running about 5-6 hours ahead of the system
> date and
>
> > > all the Gluster servers (which are identical and correct). The time
>
> > > advancement does not appear to be identical tho it's hard to tell
> since
>
> > > it only shows on errors and those update irregularly.
>

> > The timestamps in the log file are by default in UTC. That could
>
> > possibly explain why the timestamps look advanced in the log file.
>
> that seems to make sense. The advanced time on the 4 problems nodes
> looks to be the correct UTC time, but the others are using /local
> time/ in their logs, for some reason. And localtime nodes are the ones
> NOT having problems. ...??!
>
> However, this looks to be more of a ROCKS / config problem than a
> general gluster problem at this point. All the nodes have the
> md5-identical /etc/localtime, but they seem to be behaving differently
> as to the logging.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> hjm
>
> > > All the clients are the same version and all the servers are the same
>
> > > (gluster v 3.4.0-8.el6.x86_64
>

> > > This would not be of interest except that those 4 clients are losing
>
> > > files, unable to reliably do IO, etc on the gluster fs. They don't
>
> > > appear to be having problems with NFS mounts, nor with a Fraunhofer FS
>
> > > that is also mounted on each node,
>

> > Do you observe anything in the client log files of these machines that
>
> > indicate I/O problems?
>
> Yes.

If I were to hazard a guess, since the timestamp is not configurable and
*is* UTC in 3.4, it would seem that any server that's logging in local
time must not be running 3.4. Sure, it's installed, but the application
hasn't been restarted since it was installed. That's the only thing I
can think of that would allow that behavior.