[Gluster-users] Gluster infrastructure question

Dan Mons dmons at cuttingedge.com.au
Mon Dec 9 21:58:25 UTC 2013

I went with big RAID on each node (16x 3TB SATA disks in RAID6 with a
hot spare per node) rather than brick-per-disk.  The simple reason
being that I wanted to configure distribute+replicate at the GlusterFS
level, and be 100% guaranteed that the replication happened across to
another node, and not to another brick on the same node.  As each node
only has one giant brick, the cluster is forced to replicate to a
separate node each time.

Some careful initial setup could probably have done the same, but I
wanted to avoid the dramas of my employer expanding the cluster one
node at a time later on, causing that design goal to fail as the new
single node with many bricks found replication partners on itself.

On a different topic, I find no real-world difference in RAID10 to
RAID6 with GlusterFS.  Most of the access delay in Gluster has little
to do with the speed of the disk.  The only downside to RAID6 is a
long rebuild time if you're unlucky enough to blow a couple of drives
at once.  RAID50 might be a better choice if you're up at 20 drives
per node.

We invested in SSD caching on our nodes, and to be honest it was
rather pointless.  Certainly not bad, but the real-world speed boost
is not noticed by end users.

-Dan

Dan Mons
R&D SysAdmin