[Gluster-users] adding bricks to replicated volume

Pruner, Anne (Anne) pruner at avaya.com
Tue Dec 3 17:45:37 UTC 2013

Hi,
                I've seen this question asked a couple of times here http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2013-July/036414.html and here http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2013-June/036272.html but never fully answered, unless I'm reading the answers wrongly.

                I understand that bricks are replicated in pairs (with rep 2) in the order in which they are added, so for a 3-node cluster we're planning on having 6 bricks, 2 per node, and replicating in a pair-wise fashion, so that one node never holds both bricks of a replica.  My question is what to do when you add another node to the cluster.  It would have two bricks that are replicas of each other.

a)      Is there a way of changing these pairings later on, even if just for the new data?

b)      Could I take down the volume and add the bricks in one at a time again?

Thanks,
Anne