[Gluster-users] Volume creation fails with "prefix of it is already part of a volume"

Daniel Müller mueller at tropenklinik.de
Thu Aug 22 06:35:53 UTC 2013

In this case I did not have any other brick running. It was my first try.
Just a fresh install and then set up my
first replicating vol with 3.4:
On node1  /raid5hs/glusterfs/export
On node2 /raid5hs/glusterfs/export
Just did on the first node: gluster volume create sambacluster replica 2
transport tcp  s4master:/raid5hs/glusterfs/export
s4slave:/raid5hs/glusterfs/export

And voila the error occurred!!
I think this is something more serious in 3.4. I did not had that with
3.2!!!!!!!!!!

One behaviuor I recognized with this error: Only on one node the .glusterfs
file was written in /raid5hs/glusterfs/export on the other node the file was
This responds to the /etc/glusterfs/glusterd.vol file that was missing later
on on starting the brick!
I had to copy it over from the other node  to start it successfully.

EDV Daniel Müller

Leitung EDV
Tropenklinik Paul-Lechler-Krankenhaus
Paul-Lechler-Str. 24