[Gluster-users] How do I let the replication done in glusterfs server side?

Nux! nux at li.nux.ro
Mon Aug 12 08:45:45 UTC 2013

On 12.08.2013 09:34, Jung Young Seok wrote:
> Dear Gluster Users,
>
> We're currently replacing storage solution to GlusterFS
> and trying to find bottleneck so we can utilize GlusterFS as expected.
>
> One thing I'd like to ask is about glusterfs client's broadcasting.
>
> We have 2 gluserfs servers and each server has 2 bricks.
> Each brick replicates to other side. (So we use logically 2 bricks)
>
> When I mount it as glusterfs and copy a file on the mounted folder,
> the client sends the file to both server (to replicate each other)
>
> I want the replication to be done in glusterfs server not in client
> side.
>
> However, if I mount glusterfs node as nfs, replication is done in
> server
> side.
>
> I'd like to avoid using client side 10g network and I'd like to use
> 10g on
> Storage server side if it should be.
>
> Is there any way let the replication job done in glusterfs server side
> not
> in client side?
> (We're using CentOS5.8 for client[WAS], CentOS6.3 for GlusterFS
> Server)
>
> If I broke the mailing rule, please understand and explain how I can
> use
> it. (I Couldn't use the IRC caht)
>
> Any advice would be helpful.
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Regards,
> Youngseok Jung

Hello,

AFAIK at this time the only way to have the replication done on the
server side is to use NFS as you found out for yourself.
IMHO it's better to use the gluster client via the client network, it
gives you HA and better scalability (e.g. simultaneous connections to
multiple servers), the benefits outweigh the disadvantages.

HTH,
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro