[Gluster-users] Gluster to support scalable web site

Michael.OBrien Michael.OBrien at ul.ie
Tue Aug 6 14:15:21 UTC 2013

Hi Gluster Gurus

I'm looking at implementing a web project that needs to be able to scale
but starting out very small  and I think gluster might be solution for
my needs but I have a few questions that if answered would help clarify
things in my head.

1.       Is gluster a viable solution for hosting web site content (site
files themselves as well as user submitted but not db hosting) another
forum pointed me to gluster as a way but I just want to check with the
experts as I need to be able to scale out from 2 web server to n servers
while having data replicated to all the web servers

2.       Can I start with having my bricks located on the same server as
my web server but then if needed move seamlessly to add more brick
servers without having to reconfigure my glusterfs mounts?

3.       How would you recommend I handle anti-virus scanning gluster
stored content?

4.        Would you recommend 1 gluster volume mounted as /var/www/ and
used to server different web sites from the same web server or a volume
per website /var/www/site1/

I'm also interested to learn about the geo-replication feature as a way
of keeping a backup of the data in a different location if there are any
do's and don'ts on the topic you might like to share.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide

Michael