[Gluster-users] GlusterFS performance

Steve Thompson smt at cbe.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 26 21:57:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Joe Landman wrote:

> Read performance with the gluster client isn't that good, write performance
> (effectively write caching at the brick layer) is pretty good.

Yep. I found out today that if I set up a 2-brick distributed
non-replicated volume using two servers, GlusterFS read performance is
good from the server that does _not_ contain a copy of the file. In fact,
I got 148 MB/sec, largely due to the two servers having dual-bonded
gigabit links (balance-alb mode) to each other via a common switch. From
the server that _does_ have a copy of the file, of course read performance
is excellent (over 580 MB/sec).

It remains that read performance on another client (same subnet but an
extra switch hop) is too low to be useable, and I can point the finger at
GlusterFS here since NFS on the same client gets good performance, as does
MooseFS (although MooseFS has other issues). And if using a replicated
volume, GlusterFS write performance is too low to be useable also.

> I know its a generalization, but this is basically what we see.  In the
> best case scenario, we can tune it pretty hard to get within 50% of
> native speed. But it takes lots of work to get it to that point, as well
> as an application which streams large IO.  Small IO is a (still) bad on
> the system IMO.

I'm very new to GlusterFS, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me.
My aim was ultimately to build a large (100 TB) file system with
redundancy for linux home directories and samba shares. I've already given
up on MooseFS after several months' work.

Thanks for all your comments,

Steve