[Gluster-users] XFS and MD RAID

harry mangalam harry.mangalam at uci.edu
Mon Sep 10 15:49:29 UTC 2012

We're using "3ware Inc 9750 SAS2/SATA-II RAID" controllers in a 4-brick, 400TB
gluster system.  The 4 have performed very well overall in about 6mo of
production work, alerting us to problem disks, etc.  Tho 3ware is an LSI
product now, this model retains the familiar if somewhat grunty 3dm2 interface
and usable cli, as opposed to the sulfuric acid enema interface of many native
LSI controllers.

We also have used mdadm with the older 8-port Marvell PCI-X software raid
controller in another older gluster system which have worked flawlessly.
lspci says: "MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X".  This one is also ZFS-
compatible.

As others have said, using mdadm is much easier due to it's unified interface
on top of heterogeneous hardware and if it's any slower, I haven't felt it.

Using the hardware RAID was sort of forced on me due to fear of the
commandline from others using the system. :(

hjm

On Monday, September 10, 2012 09:39:18 AM Brian Candler wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 09:29:25AM +0800, Jack Wang wrote:
> > below patch should fix your bug.
>
> Thank you Jack - that was a very quick response! I'm building a new kernel
> with this patch now and will report back.
>
> However, I think the existence of this bug suggests that Linux with software
> RAID is unsuitable for production use.  There has obviously been no testing
> of basic critical functionality like hot-plugging drives, and serious
> regressions are introduced into supposedly "stable" kernels.
>
> So I'm now on the lookout for a 24-port SATA RAID controller with good Linux
> support. What are my options?
>
> Googling I have found:
>
> * 3ware 9650SE-24
> * Areca ARC-1280ML
> * LSI MegaRAID 9280-24i (newer SAS/SATA)
> * Areca ARC-1882ix-24 (newer SAS/SATA)
>
> However I see some people suggesting just a RAID card with a few ports plus
> a SAS expander backplane.  This would be fine too - I don't mind an
> aggregate throughput limit of 6Gb/s for some or all of the drives.  I just
> want to be sure that the RAID controller will handle all the possible
> failure modes and swap events of the various drives.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.
Harry Mangalam - Research Computing, OIT, Rm 225 MSTB, UC Irvine
[m/c 2225] / 92697 Google Voice Multiplexer: (949) 478-4487
415 South Circle View Dr, Irvine, CA, 92697 [shipping]
MSTB Lat/Long: (33.642025,-117.844414) (paste into Google Maps)
--
What does it say about a society that would rather send its
children to kill and die for oil than to get on a bike?