[Gluster-users] GlusterFS failover with UCarp

Runar Ingebrigtsen runar at rin.no
Thu Oct 18 16:48:42 UTC 2012

Hi,

we've successfully configured GlusterFS mirroring across two identical
nodes [1].

We're running the file share under a Virtual IP address using UCarp.
We have different clients connected using NFS, CIFS and GlusterFS.

When we simulate a node failure, by unplugging it, it takes about 5
seconds for the CIFS and GlusterFS clients to refresh the connection and
continue operation. The NFS client goes stale. Any connection (like an
ongoing copy) with any client breaks and have to be started over.

The connection break behavior is to be expected - the TCP connection
doesn't handle the switch of host. I didn't expect the NFS client to go
stale.

Will this behavior be any different with four nodes [2]?
Or is there something else I should consider to help the situation?

[1]
http://www.howtoforge.com/high-availability-storage-with-glusterfs-3.2.x-on-ubuntu-12.04-automatic-file-replication-across-two-storage-servers
[2]
http://www.misdivision.com/blog/setting-up-a-highly-available-storage-cluster-using-glusterfs-and-ucarp