[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.3.0 on CentOS 6 - GigabitEthernet vs InfiniBand

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 18 14:50:59 UTC 2012

On 10/18/2012 10:30 AM, Corey Kovacs wrote:
> Jeff that came from one of you core glusterfs engineers (sid?). According to
> him the term stripe isn't used correctly and does not imply parallel
> operations.

Well, not to pull rank or undermine a colleague, but I don't think Sid knows
the code like I do.  Go look at stripe_writev if you want to see how it will
issue multiple requests within a loop xlators/cluster/stripe/src/stripe.c:3754
before waiting for any to return.  You can even use gdb to step through it if
you still don't believe me.

> Writes are handled one brick at a time. If a stripe were parallel
> tje my 800 Mbs should have been closer to 2GB across three servers each capable
> of 900 MB/s all day long.

I agree on "should" but there are other explanations besides lack of
parallelism.  Please note that diverting people to the wrong place keeps them
from fixing anything in the right place.