[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Tue Jun 5 12:06:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:09:39AM +0530, Amar Tumballi wrote:

> >I tried it to host Virtual Machines images and it didn't work at all. Was
> >  hoping to be able to spread the IOPS more through the cluster. That's
> >  part of what I was trying to say on the email I sent earlier today.
>
> I saw that mail and I agree that the target of 3.3.0 was to make
> glusterfs more stable and get the features which would make Virtual
> machine hosting on GlusterFS a possibility by 3.4.0 time-frame.

Odd thing is, there have been statements going back a year saying that
Gluster would be ready for VM hosting in the 3.3 version. On the one hand,
it's appreciated that Gluster is pursuing ambitious goals. On the other,
when a goal is dropped from a release that many people are waiting on a long
time, specifically because of that advertised goal, it would be common
courtesy (and good business practice) to announce the change in target in
all the places where it had previously been stated. Like this list.

Best,
Whit