[Gluster-users] Striped replicated volumes in Gluster 3.3.0

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:13:37 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Whit Blauvelt <whit.gluster at transpect.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 11:09:39AM +0530, Amar Tumballi wrote:
>
> > >I tried it to host Virtual Machines images and it didn't work at all.
> Was
> > >  hoping to be able to spread the IOPS more through the cluster. That's
> > >  part of what I was trying to say on the email I sent earlier today.
> >
> > I saw that mail and I agree that the target of 3.3.0 was to make
> > glusterfs more stable and get the features which would make Virtual
> > machine hosting on GlusterFS a possibility by 3.4.0 time-frame.
>
> Odd thing is, there have been statements going back a year saying that
> Gluster would be ready for VM hosting in the 3.3 version. On the one hand,
> it's appreciated that Gluster is pursuing ambitious goals. On the other,
> when a goal is dropped from a release that many people are waiting on a
> long
> time, specifically because of that advertised goal, it would be common
> courtesy (and good business practice) to announce the change in target in
> all the places where it had previously been stated. Like this list.

Whit,
 There has been no drop in goal. There are many parts to "supporting a VM
workload". The goals listed for 3.3 are definitely met - to make VMs work
good enough (fix self-heal locking issues, some FUSE upstream work for
supporting O_DIRECT etc.) However, for 3.4 we have bigger goals of
supporting VM image use case in a much better way - libglusterfsclient
integration for QEMU etc. This was what Amar was referring to. I hope I
clarified your doubt, and apologies for the confusion.

Avati