[Gluster-users] Switch recommendations

Dan Bretherton d.a.bretherton at reading.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 13:04:39 UTC 2012

Dear All,
I need to buy a bigger GigE switch for my GlusterFS cluster and I am
trying to decide whether or not a much more expensive one would be
justified.  I have limited experience with networking so I don't know if
it would be appropriate to spend £500, £1500 or £3500 for a 48-port
switch.  Those rough costs are based on a comparison of 3 Dell
Powerconnect switches: the 5548 (bigger version of what we have now),
the 6248 and the 7048.  The servers in the cluster are nothing special -
mostly Supermicro with SATA drives and 1GigE network adapters.  I can
only justify spending more than ~£500 if I can be sure that users would
notice the difference.  Some of the users' applications do lots of small
reads and writes, and they do run much more slowly if all the servers
are not connected to the same switch, as is the case now while I don't
have a big enough switch.  Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

Regards
Dan.