[Gluster-users] Current tech overview?

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Jan 27 09:44:27 UTC 2012

Is there a technical overview of how GlusterFS distributes files across
nodes, which is up-to-date for 3.2?

I have found quite a lot of older documentation, from which I see:

* "Unify"
  - it needs a shared namespace brick?
  - there is a choice of schedulers

* "DHT"
  - can't find out much about this; no matches for "dht" in the wiki
  - presumably uses a filename hash to decide the target brick?
  - is this the same as the "distribute" translator described here?
    http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/GlusterFS_Concepts

But in the GlusterFS 3.2 Admin guide, all you get told is how to create a
distributed volume or a distributed replicated volume, not how it works
underneath.

In the source code both xlators/cluster/dht and xlators/cluster/unify exist.
dht has had recent commits, unify not much apart from copyright updates.

Also, there is a very old list of translators at
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/GlusterFS_Translators_v1.3
but it doesn't mention the "dht", "ha" or "map" translators which are in
the source.

Any pointers gratefully received. I am going to need to do a bit of an
internal sell and explanation on Gluster, and if there's anything current I
can use that would be great.

Thanks,

Brian.