[Gluster-users] Auto-mount on boot failing, works later

Marcus Bointon marcus at synchromedia.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 17:58:05 UTC 2012

On 16 Jan 2012, at 18:59, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> I find it well worth it to use autofs for anything beyond the most basic
> local mounts. That is, mount your backing store with fstab, but your gluster
> mounts (whether local or remote) with autofs.
>
> If there's an argument against autofs other than the minor setup involved, I
> don't know what it would be.

I'd never heard of autofs before. The gluster docs on using it are confusing/old/incomplete - current gluster doesn't seem to use volfiles and the suggested config for local/remote server doesn't include a volume name, nor allow you to target a single volume, only a group of them in a folder. Are there some better docs (if this is the only way that actually works!)?

I read that _netdev only applies to nfs mounts, so I switched to the nfs client (which is probably more suitable for what I'm using gluster for anyway), however that's even worse - it hangs the whole boot process requiring a boot into single user mode to recover it! I see this error on the console when it hangs:

mount.nfs: DNS resolution failed for 127.0.0.1: Name or service not known

My line in fstab is:

127.0.0.1:/shared /var/lib/sitedata nfs defaults,_netdev 0 0

It works perfectly when mounted with mount -a after boot.

I read in the RHEL bug tracker that nfs looking up localhost (bypassing hosts file) is a bug, however, it seems to remain unfixed in Ubuntu Lucid.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
UK info at hand CRM solutions