[Gluster-users] CIFS options - anyone done A-B comparisons on various setups?

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Wed Dec 5 13:33:28 UTC 2012

Gunnar,

> Second fastest is #1,  nfs mount shared by Samba 4000 files in around 6 min
> Slowest is #2  where I need more than 12 min for 4000 files.

Thanks for running that test. That's a significant difference.

I wonder in the Samba > Gluster client > Gluster server scenario whether the
slowness is the Gluster client transacting with both servers rather than
just the local one.

You've at least confirmed my suspicion that Samba > NFS > Gluster is not at
any speed disadvantage. And in many months of running that way, as I said,
there have been no performance complaints - although with this an
unsupported configuration it could turn out we've just been lucky and that
there's something yet that can go wrong.

Whit