[Gluster-users] CIFS options - anyone done A-B comparisons on various setups?

Gunnar gluster at akitogo.com
Wed Dec 5 10:12:16 UTC 2012

Whit,

thanks for posting the conf. I had problems to read and write on the
Samba volume and I thought
it was config related. I had to change how the volume was mounted, now i
do (on Centos 6.3 and Gluster 3.3.1):
mount -o vers=3,nolock -t nfs myglusterserver.local:/gv01 /mnt/nfsgv01

My setup is now:
2 servers
1 replicated volume

1. server:
nfs mount of gluster volume, shared by Samba

2. server
gluster fuse mount, shared by Samba

3. Windows, using direct nfs access

For testing I'm doing batch copies of 1000 images files (around 200kb
average) each batch, 4 batches parallel. I'm doing the tests on a live
server
which has some io already, so numbers are an estimation.

The fastest is #3, direct nfs access from Windows (I'm using the Windows
2003 nfs client, which is not very nice). I'm able to copy 4000 files in
1:40 min
Second fastest is #1,  nfs mount shared by Samba 4000 files in around 6 min
Slowest is #2  where I need more than 12 min for 4000 files.

I have absolutly no clue how to speed up Samba with a Gluster fuse volume.

It's not exaclty your scenario, but it seems that:
 > using a Gluster client to mount the Gluster storage, with cifs
providing re-export to remote systems
is the slowest option, at least for smaller files.

I don't think it will make much difference if the nfs volume is mounted
locally or on a third server. (I never tried ucarp).
If I will find some time I will create another vm and mount the nfs there.

I'm not sure if I can post images to this list but I have made
screenshots of the network throughput and of the copy times.

Gunnar