[Gluster-users] Gluster 3.3.1, Samba, Replicated Volume, Small files

Gunnar gluster at akitogo.com
Mon Dec 3 16:41:54 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm pretty new to Glusterfs currently doing some performance testing and
I have a big performance gap between NFS and Samba.

I have a replicated volume and a Samba share on a mounted Gluster volume
(setup according to
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php?title=Gluster_3.2:_Exporting_Gluster_Volumes_Through_Samba&redirect=no).

Ie have several million small image files (around 100-200KB each) which
should be copied to the Gluster volume. If
I'm copying the files now from a windows client to the Samba share and
I'm getting a write throughput around 10 Mbps.

If I access the same Gluster volume via Windows NFS client the write
throughput is around 35 Mbps.

I tried the settings according to this post:
http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2012-October/034489.html
but still the throughput is too low.

I would be happy if we could get the same performance with Samba and NFS.

Any ideas how to tune it?

Thanks,

Gunnar