[Gluster-users] Samba > NFS > Gluster leads to runaway lock problem after many stable months

Whit Blauvelt whit.gluster at transpect.com
Thu Aug 30 15:00:39 UTC 2012

Just a note:

I see that "posix locking  = on" (the default) in Samba was at least at one
point a real problem for GFS2, as mentioned here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/GFS2ClusteredSamba

Not sure if that was ever resolved. I bring that up here because I'm
wondering if it's similarly a problem now for Gluster.

As I understand discussion elsewhere, turning posix locking off in Samba
leaves locking still fully functional between CIFS clients, and at least
partially functional between CIFS clients and actions on the files directly
from the NFS-mounting system. Since in our case the same file being written
to simultaneously over CIFS and directly might happen once a decade if ever,
perhaps that should just be off anyway to decrease load and complications.

But could it have been why Samba ran out of locks on us yesterday?

Whit