[Gluster-users] Ownership changed to root

Stephan von Krawczynski skraw at ithnet.com
Sun Aug 26 13:50:16 UTC 2012

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 08:53:33 +0100
Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 07:45:35PM -0600, Joe Topjian wrote:
> >    This removed mdadm and LVM out of the equation and the problem went
> >    away. I then tried with just LVM and still did not see this problem.
> >
> >    Unfortunately I don't have enough hardware at the moment to create
> >    another RAID1 mirror, so I can't single that out. I will try when I get
> >    a chance -- unless anyone else knows if it would cause a problem? Or
> >    maybe it is the mdamd+LVM combination?
>
> This sounds extremely unlikely. mdadm and LVM both work at the block device
> layer - reading and writing 512-byte blocks. They have no understanding of
> filesystems and no understanding of user IDs.
>
> I suspect there were other differences between the tests. For example, did
> you do one with an ext4 filesystem and one with xfs? Or did you have a
> failed drive in your RAID1, which meant that some writes were timing out?
>
> FWIW, I've also seen the "files owned by root" occasionally in testing, but
> wasn't able to pin down the cause.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Hello,

I'd like to point you to "[Gluster-devel] Specific bug question" dated few
days ago, where I describe a trivial situation when owner changes on a brick
can occur, asking if someone can point me to a patch for that.
If you have no replication setup (like mine) where the other brick may help
you around the owner change then you may possibly see a real change on your fs.
I don't know if your bug is the same, but its nature and cause may be the same.
I have not received any answers to the topic so far.

Stephan