[Gluster-users] Ownership changed to root

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Sun Aug 26 07:53:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 07:45:35PM -0600, Joe Topjian wrote:
>    This removed mdadm and LVM out of the equation and the problem went
>    away. I then tried with just LVM and still did not see this problem.
>
>    Unfortunately I don't have enough hardware at the moment to create
>    another RAID1 mirror, so I can't single that out. I will try when I get
>    a chance -- unless anyone else knows if it would cause a problem? Or
>    maybe it is the mdamd+LVM combination?

This sounds extremely unlikely. mdadm and LVM both work at the block device
layer - reading and writing 512-byte blocks. They have no understanding of
filesystems and no understanding of user IDs.

I suspect there were other differences between the tests. For example, did
you do one with an ext4 filesystem and one with xfs? Or did you have a
failed drive in your RAID1, which meant that some writes were timing out?

FWIW, I've also seen the "files owned by root" occasionally in testing, but
wasn't able to pin down the cause.

Regards,

Brian.