[Gluster-users] Setting up a 2 sites replication with access to files from both sites

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sat Apr 7 16:51:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Friday 06 April 2012 19:41:26 Brian Candler wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 04:24:54PM +0200, François Legal wrote:
> >    Anyway, I gave a test drive on this, and seem to be having locking
> >    issues (users on both side can modify the same file without anything
> >    preventing this).
> >    Can anybody comment on this.
> That's just POSIX semantics. You could even have two users on the same
> machine accessing the same file and modifying it concurrently. If you want
> locks then (a) your application has to ask for them, and (b) other
> applications must also respect them [unless you're talking about mandatory
> locks, which are an unusual feature]

At first glance, mandatory locks (in the fs for example) would be nice for vm
hosting, at second glance, the simplier version would prevent live-migration.
So one needs fs-level locking with app-intelligence and distribution of
locks/unlocks/timeouts and all the stuff... (Read: dlm with pacemaker and
fencing/stonith.)

Have fun,

Arnold