[Gluster-users] FW: Save the Date: Building New File Systems with GlusterFS Translators

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 21:55:55 UTC 2011

On 10/20/2011 03:15 PM, Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> What's the technical level required to build translators? What languages are
> appropriate? Is this a capability that is likely to be useful to an advanced
> sysadmin, or most likely only of real interest to those with more serious
> software engineering resources to devote to it?

It does require a C-developer skill set, but not a particularly specialized
one.  You don't need to be a kernel programmer.  You don't need to know every
nook and cranny of how POSIX filesystems work, though it would help to have
some idea of inodes and file descriptors and the operations that apply to each.
 Experience with asynchronous programming models would be a big plus.  Since
advanced sysadmins often do have development skills as well - some would say
they must by definition - I think they'd be able to learn quite a bit from this
presentation.  Even if it's not enough to write a whole new translator from
scratch, it might be enough to make some useful tweaks or at the very least to
aid in problem determination.