[Gluster-users] Gluster on EC2 - how to replace failed EBS volume?

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Fri Oct 7 02:56:11 UTC 2011

Hi Jeff,

> "So I would not use any RAID on the machine, just have 8 independent
> disks and mount the 8 disks at eight locations:"
>
> Then your max file size is limited to the space available in each
> disk/brick unless you stripe the data with Gluster.  I don't think

Don was mentionning RAID 0, so yes, I consider stiping in Gluster
instead. It will give more flexibility, at the cost of a little speed.

To be more exact, the OP is using RAID 0 then replicate with Gluster.
Instead I said he may be better be doing the striping and replication
in Gluster. RAID 0 will not bring him much, excet headache when he
needs to rebuild a 1TB brick instead of a 125GB one (or if he ever
find himself in a situation where he has 2 machines with 4 disks each
instead of one machine with 8 disks).

> Gluster is a replacement for RAID0,1,5,10 it should layer on top of it
> to provide more redundancy or speed.

The thing is RAID 0 is not provinding any redundancy, only problems :)

Note I did not mention any other RAID level. My plan is RAID 10
bricks, in Gluster replicate/striping.

> In distribute/replicate your max file size is your brick size is the
> best case scenario.  250GB bricks = 250GB max file size.  What if your
> brick already has 230GB used?  Now you max file size it 20G and you get
> a full brick if you use it.  Create bigger bricks and you have lowered
> your chance of having too big of a file and lowered your risk of getting
> a full brick.
>
> I'm fairly new to gluster so if I'm wrong anyone can feel free to
> correct me.  The only bad thing about big bricks is it makes it harder
> to add more bricks since you want to add bricks of the same size if
> possible.

You can always decide to have pretty "small" briks, like 250GB, and if
you have 1TB available on one machine, you create 4 briks on that
machine and let gluster stripe them for you. When your hard disk get
1.5TB, you have 6 briks, and that it. You add overhead, you add
fragmentation, but you ease-up your managment; it's all a balance of
pro's and cons' :)

Bests

Olivier