[Gluster-users] Gluster on EC2 - how to replace failed EBS volume?

Jeff White jaw171 at pitt.edu
Thu Oct 6 15:33:16 UTC 2011

"So I would not use any RAID on the machine, just have 8 independent
disks and mount the 8 disks at eight locations:"

Then your max file size is limited to the space available in each
disk/brick unless you stripe the data with Gluster.  I don't think
Gluster is a replacement for RAID0,1,5,10 it should layer on top of it
to provide more redundancy or speed.

In distribute/replicate your max file size is your brick size is the
best case scenario.  250GB bricks = 250GB max file size.  What if your
brick already has 230GB used?  Now you max file size it 20G and you get
a full brick if you use it.  Create bigger bricks and you have lowered
your chance of having too big of a file and lowered your risk of getting
a full brick.

I'm fairly new to gluster so if I'm wrong anyone can feel free to
correct me.  The only bad thing about big bricks is it makes it harder
to add more bricks since you want to add bricks of the same size if
possible.

Jeff White
Linux/Unix Systems Engineer
University of Pittsburgh - CSSD