[Gluster-users] Scaling Gluster

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon May 23 16:02:04 UTC 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011 at 9:55am, Anthony J. Biacco wrote

> I think i read somewhere the server in the mount string is only used to retrieve the cluster config. So as long as that server is up at time of mount, you're fine.
> If the server goes down after mount, it doesnt matter as the cluster config on the mounting servers knows about all gluster servers.
> Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

That's correct -- it's the mount-time failure that ucarp can help avoid.

> Personally, i copy the cluster config to all my mounting servers and use
> that file in the mount command instead of a gluster server hostname.

But then you lose the ability to easily and automatically distribute
configuration changes made via the 'gluster' command on the servers.  I'm
not saying that can't be worked around, but everything is a tradeoff.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin